Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Need book opinions for daughter

  1. #11
    Inactive Member PrincessRuthie's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 19th, 2004
    Posts
    2,054
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by mayergirl:
    I'm 20, and I just bought another Dear America book, lol. I LOVE them. They are incredibly well researched, and very well written as well, I completely recommend them. I wish I could recommend the Babysitter's club. I loved those, but they're out of print [img]frown.gif[/img] Nancy Drew is always bound to be a thrill.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I ALWAYS find plenty of Babysitter's Club books in used bookstores. In fact, I found a few in a thrift store today, but I didn't get them.

    I love the Babysitter's Club so much. Though I haven't read a book for awhile, I've often thought of Kristy, Mary Anne, Claudia, Stacey, Dawn, Jessi, Mallory, and Abby as my friends!
    [img]wink.gif[/img]

  2. #12
    Inactive Member dolllover's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2004
    Posts
    2,583
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    When I was six or seven, I loved to rent the Babysitter's Club TV show from Blockbuster. I don't think I even knew then about the book series. At one point, I read some of the books, but I stopped reading them after a while. I wish I hadn't stopped reading them.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member jamtoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 28th, 2005
    Posts
    72
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Funny that you should ask this. We just picked up three new Doll Hospital books at B & N yesterday around 2:00 and by bedtime my 8-year-old had read all three. They are really interesting and entertaining books, especially if your daughter has seen any of the doll restoration albums on Hostboard. My girls LOVE them! Plus you can go to their website and print out full-color paper dolls of each doll along with their outfits.

    We also have the "If you Lived" series and it is excellent. But for pure reading enjoyment, I'd highly recommend the Doll Hospital series.

  4. #14
    ponydreamer
    Guest ponydreamer's Avatar

    Post

    I highly recommend the Dear America and Royal Diaries series. My DD has several books from both, and loved/loves them.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member only1genevieve's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 5th, 2005
    Posts
    483
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    This isn't on your list, but a great set of books (By the same woman who wrote "Dear America...A Christmas After All' -- Kathryn Lasky) are the "Double Trouble" books. They are about two sets of twin siblings, who get into strange, supernatural situations. Of course, a lot of education and historical fact is tied into the stories as well, but not in a pushy way. The first book is called "Double Trouble Squared".

  6. #16
    Inactive Member kboyd912's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 2004
    Posts
    157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You guys are the best - thanks for all the recommendations! You've given me lots of good suggestions. I'm going to have to check our local bookstores for the doll hospital #2 book - it's the only one I can't get online and I like getting complete sets.

    I always loved getting books for my birthdays, and I'm happy to say Kate feels the same way! [img]smile.gif[/img]

  7. #17
    Inactive Member colettedenali's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 20th, 2004
    Posts
    426
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Actually, the Double Trouble Squared books are Starbuck Twins mysteries. There are three- each one is chockful of historical detail. One takes place in England, one in the Everglades, and one in New Mexico.

    I also highly recommend the Swallows and Amazons series. It's British and very well done.

  8. #18
    Inactive Member jamtoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 28th, 2005
    Posts
    72
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I saw the Doll Hospital book 2: "Goldie's Fortune" on Amazon just yesterday. There are several new or nearly new copies available from Amazon sellers on that site. If you just sift through the descriptions under the "New and Used from..." link, you should be able to find a copy that is acceptable. I've ordered several books through Amazon sellers, and they've always arrived promptly and in excellent condition (they depend on good feedback like ebay sellers do). I hope this helps!

    Carla

  9. #19
    Inactive Member MOM to JILLIAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    684
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If You Lived in Williamsburg in Colonial Days (Barbara Brenner)

    If You Lived in Colonial Times (Ann McGovern)


    We have both of these books and I think they are very nicely done. Lots of interesting facts and information. I would recommend them.

    I also love the Dear America books.

  10. #20
    Inactive Member QNPoohBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2002
    Posts
    1,460
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    How old is she? Does she like history? I read a LOT and I read a lot as a kid-I read entire librraies FULL of books! I can come up with some other suggestions.
    If she can read Dear America and Royal Diaries easily, then My America and Doll Hospital will be too young for her. I read the Doll Hospital series and I enjoyed the doll restoration bits but the historical stuff was rather rushed and not very detailed so they are better for younger readers. I read some of the My America books and I really like the Italian immigrant ones since my family also came from Italy though Boston. The Civil War ones were OK and the Revolutionary War ones I read were TERRIBLE! [img]graemlins/thumbs_down.gif[/img]

    I enjoyed Young American voices because I like the style and they were very informative, particularly the Dust Bowl Depression diary.

    I love Dear America and my favorite authors are Kathryn Lasky and Kristiana Gregory.

    For young adult readers I recommend Ann Rinaldi's books. I especially love <u>Wolf By the Ears</u> and her Revolutionary War books. Her latest novels haven't quite been up to the standards of her earlier ones.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •